Making stamps

New task: make stamps for an activity with children! We need 10 stamps to use on a “passport” for the children that will come every day for different activities. Just the right occasion to use the flexible PLA we bought quite a while ago, because stamps must be rubbery :) So, there are many ways to make a stamp, but having no 3d modelling abilities I had to find quite a complex workaround and here we are.

1: the actual design for the stamps was made with a graphical software and exported as a PNG.

2: the png file was transformed with the great tool “2D design to 3D Print Creator” on Shapeways, and exported as an x3db file

Shapeways | 2D Design to 3D Print Creator 2014 08 01 10 35 04 2014 08 01 10 35 13

3: Netfabb to the rescue!! Just fire it up and open the file, then you can save it as an Stl. If you forgot to do it, you can mirror the design so the letters don’t come out written backwards (yes, we’ve done it!)

Netfabb Basic 5 0  messico fabbproject 2014 08 01 10 33 45 2014 08 01 10 33 59

4: now we have to add the back of the stamp, you could have done it before maybe, but we were not certain how it would come out when extruding it so we decided to add it now. I use Tinkercad, just import your stl, design a flat cylinder and stick it on. Obviously this step can be greatly improved, feel free to add any ideas in the comments!

3D design Copy of Messico | Tinkercad 2014 08 01 10 48 15 2014 08 01 10 48 45

5: and we finally have a printable stl file!! We chose to print it with Ultimaker’s Flexible PLA
I strangely had no problems printing with it, obviously I drastically changed the speed (10mm/sec) but when in a hurry to finish a piece I increased it I had no difficulties. I wanted to exclude retraction but left it by mistake and had no problems.

Cura  14 07 2014 08 01 10 55 05 2014 08 01 10 55 14

The first experiment was with 200° and the details peeled off, so we tried with 235° and it sticks wonderfully. Using these settings we found out that it kept the finer details, and when using it with ink it looked much better.

IMG 7633

 

IMG 7636IMG 7635

IMG 7634

Maybe slightly melting the last layer (touching a heated surface) would improve the final effect making all the lines disappear.

This entry was posted in 3d prints, success!, ultimaker and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>